I am going to have 8 people for dinner tomorrow night. This should be a stress-free easy event. I have decided to make boring old lasagne because I can get nice minced beef. I am not feeding guests frozen Iceland chicken or corned beef hash (minus the potatoes or using Smash) and I understand that not everyone shares my liking for Pilchards.
There is however a problem with the cheese sauce. There is a shortage of milk to buy so I am having to use ready made Dolmio white sauce. There is some milk in Stanley but it is long-life out of date UHT and there is occasionally UHT skimmed milk in the little shop here on camp.
I am happy to say that I will be able to make a sticky toffee pudding as long as I remember to make some natural yoghurt tonight to put in it. There is only out of date yoghurt in the shops and you can never rely on there being any on the shelves. Entertaining here takes more planning and thinking ahead. You have to make dishes not based on what you want to cook but on what you can get to cook.
There will be no salad with the lasagne. I did get a lettuce, 4 tomatoes and a cucumber this week but they are very precious and there will be no more until next Monday. We have a new shop here and this week we got Nectarines and Plums flown in from the UK. My son was amazed, he had forgotten they existed.
On the wine front I have no complaints. Cheaper than the UK and Chilean wine is great and readily available. With my child benefit being scrapped I may have to stop drinking wine soon.
Tuesday, 5 October 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment