When I returned home my husband was looking for blue card to make some bumble bee photo frames with the children so he had turned my craft cupboard upside down. This can only end in one way and that is complete and utter disaster and a shouting match. No-one ventures into my craft cupboard. So he was huffing and puffing, raking and rustling and I ended up wanting to stab him with a knitting needle. Problem is I am not quite sure exactly where they are in the cupboard.
Action man has been home for exactly a week and it has been a totally blissful week. There has not been a cross word. We have been calling each other Darling. I wonder what we will be calling each other this coming week. I will keep you posted.
On a normal UK Sunday afternoon if I wanted some trout I would nip to Sainsbury's or Morrisons or Tescos. In the Falklands you have to be a bit more resourceful.
So off we went this afternoon for a half hour drive on a gravel track. I was in the back of the land rover and it was quite bumpy and if I had been taller I would have bumped my head several times.
Then we had to walk a mile there and back in the battering, howling wind to find a sheltered spot to start fishing. We were spinning today which actually took a bit of effort. I thought fishing involved sitting at the side reading a book, eating sandwiches, drinking tea and waiting for a fish to come while Kingfishers flew by and the sun shone in a gentle breeze. It actually involves freezing, nearly being blown over into the water and looking at barren landscape with not a soul in sight for about 3 hours.
My daughter fell out with me because "I was not listening to her" and was "not doing it properly". My son punched me when I tried to hold his hand. I am somewhat redundant now that Granny and Auntie have arrived. They are nice to me only on the run up to mealtimes.
I have just downed two glasses of sherry in the space of 10 minutes. This is to get over the shock of the gutting process that was going on in the kitchen. There is now a fish head in the bin.
I have that lovely Falklands glow this evening. There is a lot to be said for this simple, self sufficient life and as long as I get a lock for the craft cupboard all will be calm in our household.

No comments:
Post a Comment