Yesterday I went on a school trip to HMS Gloucester. It was fascinating. I feel very lucky to have seen inside and to meet the very dashing members of the Royal Navy. How I love a man in uniform. My husband had told me not to wear a skirt. That was good advice. The steps are vertical like ladders and there are lots of them. Holding onto the rails on either side is essential.
In the afternoon the school went to visit the Meteorological Centre. One of the children asked me how to spell this. I had to look it up in the dictionary. Then they asked how many syllables were in it? I had a headache last night with all the thinking. Forecasting weather is all about Physics and Maths. I have just had to look up Physics in the dictionary.
Weather in the Falklands is a challenge for the Met Office. It changes day by day and even hour by hour. Freak gust winds come out of nowhere and cloud formations can look quite spectacular. I experienced quite a bumpy ride on the flight over here from the UK and a very choppy ride the last time I went in a helicopter. I had the sick bag open and ready.
Yesterday low cloud covered the hills looking like snow and there was a clear bright blue sky. The sun today is fierce, you can feel it burning your skin.
My husband scrubbed the bath last night and is in cleaning mode. He knows how to clean. He has been well trained. He polishes my shoes and has taught me all the tricks when moving out of army quarters. Toothpaste filled into the holes in the walls once you take the picture hooks out works wonders. His mother arrives soon. I better get dusting.
My son befriended a cat before school this morning. I can't wait until the dog meets it. He has also found a dead cat behind our house. He keeps poking it with a stick.
Friday, 11 February 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment