Sunday, 2 January 2011

Gin and tonic in the evening sunshine

It has been another warm Summer's day in The Falklands.  My face was nipping in the shower this morning.  I had forgotten to put on factor 50 suncream during yesterday.  The sun here really burns your skin and you do not feel it because of the wind. There is sand all over the house. It blocks the drains.

I have had about 5 gin and tonics this evening and I am feeling quite merry.  I am getting old though because I now have a big glass of water beside me.  I no longer like the feeling of "being out of control".  I am officially becoming old and sensible.  I did not even make it up to see 2011 in.  I fell asleep at 11.30pm and I could not have cared less.  My husband went out partying without me and my daughter cried because she missed out on the fun because of my sleepiness.

I have read two books in the last week.  Love of my life by Louise Douglas - very romantic and hard to put down and The Other Hand by Chris Cleeve.  A book that stays with you when you are washing the dishes, driving, drinking gin, walking the dog.  I am going to start on The Poisonwood Bible.  My husband thinks I am too much of a bookworm.  I have so many books I want to read.

We are moving to a village near Blackpool in the Spring.  Apparently it rains a lot there.  I am looking forward to playing bingo, eating candy floss and playing those money slot machines where the 10 pences line up and fall down but you never seem to win much money.

No comments:

Post a Comment