Today I had the best day in a long time. Shared lunch with my husband sitting against a sand dune in bright sunshine watching Penguins with no-one else around.
The high levels of sunshine have affected me. I have overdosed on vitamin D and was dancing earlier to Lionel Ritchie in the mess and telling everyone how good he is. The 4 glasses of wine I have had have given me an extra rosy glow in addition to the sunburn I have on my face. My face hurts when I smile. I have been trying to frown but I am so happy it is impossible. They do not give out free factor 30 suntan lotion out in the medical centre for nothing.
We walked for half an hour along the most amazing beach and watched 4 Dolphins playing in the surf. They looked to me like baby killer whales but I have been assured that they were a type of Dolphin. We saw geese, gulls, plovers, petrels, turkey vultures, oyster catchers and then we walked another 40 minutes and saw 7 Penguins. We missed out on the colony 200 metres from where we were sitting. Next time I will know where to look and I have been told there are about 100 Penguins. You smell them before you see them. They were plumper than I expected. They could hardly walk.
My husband took some wonderful photos. He kept telling me to stay still and not get so close. He said I was not eating my crisps quietly enough. I suppose I was rustling the packet quite a lot. I managed to mess up his sophisticated camera on the way home. There are far too many buttons to choose from.
I feel high tonight with contentment. I feel as if I have been on gas and air. (I haven't, although I did love that stuff and highly recommend it). Everything is wonderful. The stars, the air, the peacefulness. The world is such a wonderful place, especially in those places you can go where humans are not.
Just when I thought things could not get any better I went to see the headmistress at school and from Monday the planting in the polytunnel begins. I cannot wait to get those seeds in the ground and to watch what happens. We are planting tomatoes next week and then the allotment begins the week after.
I am soaring as high as the Petrels I saw today. Long may this feeling last.
PS There are no chocolate bars anywhere in the shops or vending machines. Shelves are completely bare. The ship is in the port but it is still being unloaded and there will be no chocolate bars until Monday. My husband and I had to resort to buying a big box of chocolates. We have just eaten a box of Dairy Box between us. I am never going to just buy a chocolate bar again. Not big enough.
Perfect end to a perfect day.
Friday, 17 September 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment