The Falkland Islands is very short on potatoes at the moment. I went to one of the supermarkets in Stanley today and was faced with very empty fruit and vegetable shelves. I think new supplies are flown in from Chile every Saturday but it does not reach the shops until Sunday. No potatoes anywhere this morning apart from a few old shrivelled ones in the families shop here on camp that have eyes in them.
We have spent the last week eating frozen hash browns, french fries and roast potatoes. My frozen onions are a great discovery. No crying eyes when peeling and chopping onions. I hope they sell them in the UK.
My husband and I went to the Falklands Conservation ball last night. We were hoping to win the £22,000 cruise with our one £20 raffle ticket but it was not to be. We did not have much luck on the charity auction either. One painting went for £1,500 and the penguin oil painting I had my eye on went for £700. There is most definitely money here. I have decided that later on today I am going to paint my own Penguin masterpiece.
The school polytunnel is going well. We have planted tomatoes, cucumbers and peas and next week we are planting carrots, radishes and beetroot. I want to get hold of some big containers to use as plantpots and plant some potatoes.
The good news from this week has been the unloading of the ship that docked last weekend. The shelves are full of chocolate and biscuits.
Saturday, 25 September 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment