Saturday, 13 November 2010

Brunch bars

Nearly 6 months in the Falklands and on hearing some Scottish accents tonight I wanted to join their conversation and talk about the hills, the thistles, Greggs and drizzle. I am hoping this is just a passing phase, I have another 6 months to go and will be heading most likely to England after that. I have noticed tonight that most people here are Scottish.  They are everywhere. We are 8000 miles away.

A friend and I were out tonight talking to a man who had been here for 17 hours. We were actually boring him about the lack of vegetables and tinned corned beef and ham. Even Spam come into the conversation.  My daughter has started asking for Spam on her sandwiches in her packed lunch. I could see his eyes glaze over and him doing his best to stifle yawns. When did I get so boring?  Walking around with my sad little food obsession. Who cares about bruised pears and the lack of mangos. I never used to but now it is all I think about, day and night.

 I had a pickled onion and cheese sandwich for lunch.  I refuse to eat previously frozen ham and I cannot look at another tin of tuna. I may have to move onto Red Salmon. I have prawns but keep forgetting to defrost them.  This also applies to the Iceland value frozen diced chicken.  Only £2.  I cannot move onto sandwich spreads with the exception of peanut butter and chocolate. Last Monday I spent £24 on a box of cadbury's brunch bars, I have one left, 47 bars scoffed in a week. My children have had a field day.

No comments:

Post a Comment